Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Joys of Love

Cupid’s Workshop

Narrator: Yes, beloved, Cupid hath a workshop. It be in the Sistine chapel, mortalized by Michelangelo. In his lair he wandereth, he mixeth, he stirreth his potions and coatings for his arrows. He carves and fletches, exams and stretches his bow, looking for any impurity that might necessitate it’s replacement. But he does not practice on bulls-eyes. His practice is his prey.

Cupid: Dancing, twirling, spinning, stirring,
Carving, fletching, examining, stretching,
In here my lair I set my blade,
Out in the world I ply my trade.
Customers unwitting,
Though perhaps desiring,
And unknowing what this is,
My gift they’re receiving.
Skin and flesh,
Bone and marrow,
Though these I pierce,
I set my arrow.
And though my scheme
They seldom see,
They think they’re guests,
My prey they be.
My appearance,
Unseen is seldom,
But on my arrows,
A joyful venom,
For bliss they hope,
But all in vain,
I take what’s theirs,
And give them pain.
Ah, joyful, delightful,
To see them try,
To find their way,
Ahh… wish to die.

Narrator: Cupid cackles maniacally, then exits the chapel. We follow him, our host delighted to demonstrate his trade.

Man: Ahh, I wish,
To have, just once,
The joy of love.

Cupid: You see this dunce?
But now, just watch,
Listen what he now says.

Man: For this sweet love,
I’d wear a fez.
You see that woman,
Her face so pure,
Her eyes so sweet,
Lips so sure?
Bodily perfection,
Through love’s eyes,
I want this one.

Cupid: It’s best she dies.
For when I strike his heart,
With my arrow true,
Coated with poison,
That this love grew.

Narrator: Cupid produces a jar of a curious red substance. With a sneer, he opens the lid.

Cupid: Ah, now, just watch,
This one’s most venomous,
Let’s not miss the fun,
Put lots, be generous,
For I do wonder,
If pain more profound,
This one will receive,
Then the last I found.
Display agony,
So my blade can gleam,
So that I can laugh,
And watch you scream.

Narrator: Cupid releases the poisoned arrow, striking the man’s heart. The immense pain stuns him. He chokes on his breath, then with a scream collapses on the ground!

Cupid: Ah, ha ha ha ha ha!
Well done, well done,
Splendid performance,
I do like this one,
Come now, take a bow,
Yes, now I’ll give you more,
For one’s not enough,
I must have my encore.
Encore! Encore!

Narrator: The second arrow is released, striking the woman this time. She too collapses on the street, screaming. The man’s pain is doubled, and he finds himself lacking breath to scream.

Woman:Oh, death be mine!
Come now, give me ease,
I beg of you, dear Death
Show me release!
I did think I knew,
What the man’s thinking of,
I wanted joy and bliss!

Cupid: And you find yourself with love.
Forgive me, my darling,
It was all for him, there,
Because of his love,
Your pain he’ll share.
Ah, my poor little love,
Take that arrow from your heart,
Though, I’m afraid, the poison,
Will not so soon depart.
But it’s not so fun, really,
If his pain makes him unable,
To show his truthful feeling,
And make relief a fable.
There, there, dear boy,
Some of the pain’s gone,
Come, show me your scream,
A trophy you have won.

Man: Though her love for me has gone,
And her pain relieved as well,
Should I now myself resign,
And submit the poor to hell?
For my service for the King,
Must outweigh the pain I feel,
For compared to what He had,
It is a Great White to an eel.
For my love for Him,
And Him for me,
Is no love Cupid can,
Bring about to give me pain,
As it would within his plan.
So pain aside, I stand again,
To work for Heaven’s will,
And perhaps someday,
The blonde will gray,
On Cupid’s evil skull.
And then, maybe, in Heaven,
On mountaintop or beach,
I’ll see my love,
And hold her where,
Cupid’s arrow cannot reach.

The End!

1 comment:

thisisme said...

I still say it should be an act in a play